My new Spring Sunburst Wreath was such a joy to make! I also got to experiment with different colors of chalk/clay paint.
But first, here’s how I formed the wreath. I used a small and a big store-bought wreath forms at the craft store as the foundation for the wreath (they measure 6 and 12 inches in diameter, respectively). Then I used these wooden pieces I found at the thrift store (they measure about 1 inch by 4.5 inches by 1/4 inch). I was lucky to find these wood pieces as they’re already cut. Wood shims from the hardware store would be handy as well, but they’ll just be a different size from mine.
I placed the small wreath form in the middle of the big one and started laying out the wood pieces. I started in the middle and worked my way out. The first row overlapped both wreath forms completely. The second row fit in between and also overlapped both wreath forms. Then the outside row went in between the second row, and only went over the big wreath form. I actually didn’t have enough room for two more of the outside row, so I made that the top of the wreath. If you are using different sized wood pieces than mine, this might still work…just make sure all the pieces are evenly spaced out. I counted out how many pieces were in each row…first row and second row had 8 each and the outside row had 14.
I removed the wood pieces (once you are happy with your pattern, take a picture of it so you can recreate it again!) and I painted the wreath forms as it looked like parts of it would be showing behind the wood pieces. This is CeCe Caldwell’s Portland Rose, which I had used to paint a frame in this project yesterday and I had some paint left over on my brush and bowl (I put the brush and bowl into a big zip-top bag and it was still fresh the next day).
Here are the colors I’m using (CeCe Caldwell Chalk Paint): Carolina Sun Yellow, Destin Gulf Green (used here too), Traverse City Cherry, Maine Blue. The jar without any paint on the lid is Simply White, and next to that one is Portland Rose. I used those two lighter colors to mix with the brighter colors, as I’ll describe next.
I thought I’d record how I came up with my colors for myself and for you too if you can figure out what I’m saying! In the picture below, here’s how I came up with my lighter colors for the wreath. Please excuse my very non-technical terms (blob, dollop)…I wish I had more precise measurements!
- Top row, left: I mixed a big blob of Carolina Sun Yellow with a much smaller dollop of Simply White to get a lighter yellow. The top wood piece is Carolina Sun not mixed with anything.
- Top row, right: I mixed a big blob of Traverse City Cherry with a medium blob of Simply White. I wanted to tint it a little bit more pink, so I added a small blob of Portland Rose and got a nice strawberry color.
- Middle row: A large blob of Destin Gulf Green and a medium blob of Simply White gave me a dark sage color.
- Bottom row: A large blob of Maine Harbor Blue and a slightly smaller blob of Simply white gave me a light blue color.
I painted 8 yellow, 8 pink, 7 green and 7 blue. When all were dry, I got ready to start gluing the wood pieces to the wreath forms. I needed the small wreath form to stay in the middle, as my yellow and pink pieces would be the ones holding the two wreath forms together. So I traced a line around the big and small wreath forms so I could see where they should be staying put in case they moved while I glued. I repositioned all the wood pieces again, noting that the yellow pieces were even with the inside edge of the small wreath form, and the pink ones went about halfway up. The blue and green ones were about even with the inside edge of the big wreath form. I made sure everything was even and happy, and picked up one piece at a time to add hot glue to the back, trying not to disturb its neighbors. The pink and yellow pieces will have glue in two spots. The blue and green pieces will have glue in just one spot. Ok all done gluing! Now for some more paint fun. You can create a distressed finish with CeCe Caldwell Paints by simply rubbing with a damp cloth. I used a t-shirt scrap and a spray bottle, and then I rubbed until I liked how it looked. If you rub a little bit too much, you can always repaint it and try again. Then I applied CeCe Caldwell’s Clear Wax. This can also be applied with a cotton rag. Just dab on a thin layer onto your rag and rub it on gently. The color will become richer while the distressed finish will be more enhanced. Last thing…I wrapped a piece of twine for hanging around the top. All done! Ah I love it so! It was fun to practice with my CeCe Caldwell paints and the Clear Wax too, a great way to try things out before I tackle something bigger like a piece of furniture. Linking: Serenity Now ::Carolyn’s Homework :: Mad in Crafts :: Fine Craft Guild ::The Trendy Treehouse :: A Glimpse Inside :: The Frugal Girls ::Tidy Mom::Tatertots and Jello :: Homemaker on a Dime :: Redoux :: Common Ground :: Life We Live 4