I wanted a modern, and living, wreath for Spring.
Of course, my girls put in their two cents, requesting a flower and a heart.
And I chose the word “GROW”. I asked the girls if they knew what GROW means, and they said, it means you get tall, tall, TALL! Having a black thumb, I thought my wheat grass could use all the help it could get! Plus, Spring is a time of growth, not just for plants. Spring is renewal, and a chance to learn and improve ourselves.
And many supplies used in this wreath were found at the thrift store, so the total cost for this wreath was waaaay less than $10. Yay!
Here’s how I made my Spring Wheat Grass Wreath.
- Wheat grass seeds and soil
- Small, lightweight containers (thrifted)
- Wood pieces (also thrifted – needs to be long enough to reach both sides of the wreath form)
- Gorilla Glue or other strong glue
- Chalkboard paint (I also recommend primer, but didn’t use it).
- Acrylic paint and paint brushes
- Wreath form (thrifted - not shown, but pick one that is sturdy and flat)
- Painter’s tape (not shown)
You need to allow a few days to let your wheat grass grow. It will start to sprout in 3-4 days. Add soil to your containers and sprinkle the seeds on top, and water. For a great intro on growing wheat grass, check out the tutorial on Carissa’s Creative Space.
This was about 6 days of growth. I had meant to put four containers but there wasn’t enough room on the wood pieces so I stuck with three.
Speaking of the wood pieces, remember my Chinese Soup Spoon Wall Art? I am using the same wood for my wreath. But I reused these three pieces that I had glued together for that project, but the glue oozed out too much (and I later used it for practicing my lettering). Anyways, just make sure your wood piece(s) for the shelf stick out enough to hold your containers. For my wreath, I painted over it with acrylic paint so it doesn’t go to waste. I used gray paint accented with yellow, which you will see later.
Now to paint the containers. I really wish I had used primer on the glass first. When I wrote over it with chalk, it seemed to scrape off the paint a little. Next time. But anyways, wrap a piece of painters tape across the top, and paint the bottom. I wanted the roots to show a little bit through the grass.
While the paint dried on my shelf and containers, I wrapped the wreath form with twine.
When the paint on the shelf was dry, I glued it onto the wreath, about 3/4 of the way down.
And when the chalkboard paint dried overnight, I tried writing on it with chalk. As mentioned, there was some difficulty, but it looks ok. Rustic! Haha.
When the shelf was securely sticking to the wreath, I started gluing the containers to the shelf. I started with the large middle container, then glued the two small ones on the sides.
The wreath kind of teetered back and forth as I glued the containers, so I used some twine rolls to prop it up.
While the glue was setting, my girls pointed out there is a Mama grass and two baby grasses, but what about the Dada grass? They thought for a moment and decided “he was taking the picture.”
When everything was secure, I hung the wreath on my door, directly onto the wreath form. I did leave a length of twine for hanging, but hanging it on the hook made it not cover the peep hole.
All done. I hope they’ll start growing in the same direction as they stay in one spot.
But maybe I should be happy it keeps growing at all! It’s been cloudy and raining…hope my grass survives…cross your fingers everyone!
Linking: The Frugal Girls :: Petite Hermine :: Tip Junkie :: Rook No. 17 :: Oopsey Daisy :: The Trendy Treehouse ::Tidy Mom ::Creation Corner :: Whipperberry ::Sassy Sites:: Tatertots and Jello :: Lolly Jane Boutique::Flamingo Toes ::Homemaker on a Dime :: The Gunny Sack :: Love Affair With My Brother:: Craft Monkey:: Mine for the Making ::Fine Craft Guild :: Mad in Crafts :: Southern Hospitality :: Sand and Sisal