Remember these lovely vintage sewing needle books I found in this yellow sewing box?
I thought keeping them at the bottom of the box was a safe place, beneath my trims and elastics. Whenever I opened the box, I would see the needle books and smile.
Then I thought it would be even better to enjoy them all the time by hanging them up on the wall in my Craft Corner.
I plan to hang this up on a narrow wall space, so this thrifted frame was perfect.
I painted the frame red, since there were traces of red in some of the notion packaging. I used Martha Stewart Satin Paint in Habanero, with the sponge applicator tip attached right onto the bottle, which I just LOVE. I used two coats.
At first I was going to only display needle books, but in the yellow box I also found lovely packaging for buttons and these lingerie strap holder thingys, and wanted to include them too. I was going to use the mat that came with the frame but I needed more room so I decided not to use the mat. I instead made little backgrounds for each of the notions out of vintage linens, with another vintage linen in the background.
When I was happy with the colors and arrangement of the notions and the background pieces, I had to stick them somehow to the background piece of fabric. I decided to use Steam-a-Seam2 fusible webbing. It’s safe to say that I’m addicted to that stuff! I cut the webbing in the same size as the backgrounds, peeled off the paper backing and used my hand to press it onto the back of the backgrounds. Then peel off the other paper backing to arrange them onto the background fabric. Since we haven’t used the iron to fuse the backgrounds yet, the adhesive isn’t permanent…I could rearrange the squares easily but they stayed in place.
I took some pictures of the arrangement before fusing it down, and looked at it on my computer. I liked the patchwork-y look but it was crowded so I decided to leave some white space in between some of the backgrounds.Then fuse the backgrounds to the background fabric.
I used these removable mounting squares to stick the notions to the fabric. I’ve had these in my stash since 2004 when working on my wedding invitations. I don’t know how many adhesives I tried out! Glad I’m finally using these!
I cut them in half because these notions are rather small (and because I want my supply to last another 7 years?). I just stuck a few on the back of each one and pressed them onto their backgrounds. Again, they’re removable so I can rearrange them until I’m happy.
Wrap the fabric around a piece of cardboard (confession: I wrapped it around the unused mat…instant storage! I used a few more mounting squares to adhere the fabric to the mat. Pop it into the frame. All done.
Some close-ups of the notions. I adore the vintage graphics and fonts.
This needle packaging had this “carved” border, very similar to the frame. The packaging for the lingerie strap holder is fittingly feminine.
My girls like the monopoly-type magician guy on this beading needle book.
For now, I’ve just propped it up the frame on my desk. I need to add some hanging hardware to the back. Will update this post when it’s hanging in its place. You’ll also see it when I finally reveal my Craft Corner makeover sometime this month (I hope!).
Linking: The Frugal Girls :: Petite Hermine :: Tip Junkie ::Sassy Sites :: Rook No. 17 :: The Trendy Treehouse :: Tidy Mom:: Creation Corner :: Whipperberry :: Tatertots and Jello ::Lolly Jane Boutique :: Homemaker on a Dime :: The Gunny Sack :: Hazel and Honeysuckle :: Apron Thrift Girl :: The Thrifty Groove :: Radcrafter :: Her Library Adventures :: The Vintage Sheet Blog
Disclosure: I received the Martha Stewart Paint and Tools to write a product review for this post. Click over there for more details.